Wednesday, September 20, 2006

the rain begins....

So, today was supposed to be West Nairobi Schools' first competitive sport games in about 8 years...but then it rained. The kids were so disappointed. I really hated being the person who had to make the decision on what to do, because that would mean that they were all upset with me. Because of course they don't consider the rain...thunder...lightening and all that. We have been practicing for about three weeks at this point so they were very ready for their first game. Now our first game will be an away game next week against a very difficult team. I am kind of glad about that though because there is A LOT less for me to plan at away games. This morning when I got to work I had a huge long list of things that I had to make sure got done. Today was definately a day that I felt like the Athletic Director. When you are a kid you don't realize who has to make certain decisions like how to put lines on the field, who puts the first aid kit together, and who has to make the final decision on if a game is cancelled or not. Well, I found out today that those are all part of my job including much more It really is a lot of fun, even if I do sound overwhelmed! :)
My roommates and I got our car (I will add a picture soon). It is so nice to finally have a little bit more freedom. We are still learning how to drive on the left side, around pot holes and people and goats and who knows what else. The public transportation here is called a Mutatu. The thing about these vans is that they think (or should I say they do) rule the road. The pull off when they want to, wherever they want to and enter the road whenever as well. So you never know when they will pull out in front of you. Right now Jen and Alison are practicing driving everywhere because Daylan and I don't have our international driver's licenses. They are getting better. The first time out with Jen she said, "This isn't that hard." To which I responded, "Jen, you just need to drive on the left side of the road instead of the right." We got a good laugh out of that.
Well, I guess that about sums it up for now. If you are not recieving my updates emails and would like to please let me know at kaylacarraway@gmail.com I will add more pictures soon!

No comments: