Monday, February 05, 2007

Mt. Longonot...the story

After a month in the city I was ready to get out and enjoy God’s creation. Daylan and I decided to hike Mt. Longonot, which is actually a dormant volcano. I have no idea when the volcano erupted because the crater is full of huge trees, so it must have been a REALLY long time ago. Although there are still a few spots where you can see steam coming out, and some parts have a nasty sulfur smell. Daylan and I went with our Principal and his family (wife and three girls). It took us about an hour to hike to the rim of the crater. It was so cool to get up there and be able to see for miles and miles. Olivia, the Maxwell’s daughter who is in second grade kept up with Daylan and I the whole time. I don’t know if that means we are really slow or that she is really fast, but either way we were quite proud of her. She is such a cute girl. As we were hiking up we ran into a group of about 8 giraffes, only in Kenya, you gotta love it! We saw some other wild life too but of course I have no idea what they are called. Once we all got to the rim of the crater Daylan and I kept on hiking around the edge. We hiked for about another hour to get to the highest point on the other side. It was a fun hike, but wow parts of it were serious hiking. I definitely was a dirty little girl when I got done. We had so much fun though, and it is just great to be able to say that we did it. The view from the peak was SO great. I just couldn’t help but stand there in awe looking out over the country side. While we were on top Daylan and I read Psalm 19 “The heavens are telling of the glory of God; and their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.” Another small blessing that God has brought to my life this week. Wish you could all be here to enjoy His beauty with me.

No comments: