Monday, October 16, 2006

October Update

Philippians 2:12-13 “continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his purpose.”

Today I had the privilege to spend the afternoon with the Meredith family. Bob and Patty have been missionaries in Africa for over twenty years. They have three children, Emily and Wes both attend University of Nebraska and Ian is an eighth grader at WNS. Emily has taken a semester to study in Africa and has been a huge help to our athletic department by helping to coach basketball. Ian is also a big help to the sports as he is our starting forward on the soccer team. Bob and Patty have both been teachers but now work with Navigator’s Africa, training and disciplining Kenyans. They would really appreciate your prayers as Emily graduates from college soon. Also Patty has struggled with health issues recently and is really seeking God’s strength to continue doing His will.

It was such a blessing to get to spend the day with them, not only because they made us delicious pizza and sent us home with a cake. But I was refreshed by seeing God at work in and through them. I wanted to take some time to share with you some of the things that they blessed me with. Before we (my roommates and I) drove home tonight Bob asked if he could pray with us. He read Philippians 2:12-13 and then prayed. His reading blessed me because, as he pointed out, these verses remind us that we are working out who we are in Christ. I am in the process of using the gifts and abilities that God has specifically given to me for His glory. It is not something that I have achieved but something that I am working on, and will continue to work on. I know that I am supposed to be in Nairobi working at West Nairobi School but I am still working on all the details that includes. Recently God has put a burden on my heart for the middle school girls. I would like to start a bible study of some sort with them. Right now I am overwhelmed by the details of finding time, choosing the girls, and making the commitment. I know that God has given me this passion for a reason and I am excited to see how it is all going to play out. Please pray for me as God continues to show me how he wants to use me here. I just want you to know how thankful I am for the part that you are playing in the whole big picture. If it were not for each one of you, it would not be possible for me to be where I am.

At school it is almost the end of our first quarter, which is hard to believe. The end of the quarter brings report card due dates and parent-teacher conferences. As much as that intimidates me I am excited to get to talk with more of the parents personally. Every time I talk to or spend time around these families I feel I have so much to learn from their example. The sport’s teams continue to do well. The kids and parents are still so excited about this new opportunity and I love being a part of seeing their dreams come true. Recently some of the middle school students put together little book for me about how thankful they were for having sports teams this year. It was so fun to see the things that they get excited about, like nets on the soccer goals, new soccer balls, and lines on the field. Little things that it is easy to take for granted in the US they truly are so thankful for. It was a good reminder to me as I find myself often wishing for a bigger field or a gym. I love all that I can learn from these kids.

Once again I just want to Thank You so much for all of your prayer and support for this adventure that I am on! I know that God is going to bless you for your faithfulness!
Serving our King in Kenya,
Kayla Carraway



Prayer Requests
· Health & Safety
· Finances for our car
· Wisdom about the small group

No comments: