Friday, November 17, 2006

Community Development

Another new program that WNS has added this year has been their community development projects. A few weeks ago the Middle School students went to a slum and visited a school and played soccer with the kids. Yesterday I had the privellage to go to New Life Home with the Kindergarten class. It was a pretty unstructured time, but it was for kindergarten students. We simply went to visit and play with the toddlers. When we first got there we paired up the WNS students with one of the toddlers. They were both a little scared at first but after a few minutes they started playing together and it was so cute. When we pulled up to the home the kids were all up at the window waiting for us. As soon as we walked in they all just kept saying "HI!!" They were so excited to have us there. One little boy walked up to me and stuck his arms in the air and said, "UP!" He was so cute. There were two little boys that always wanted to be held and since it has been awhile since I have been around babies I was definately ok with holding them. There were 14 beautiful toddlers running around just wanting to be loved and cared for. Not all of the children were HIV positive but the thing that they did have in common is that they had been abonded by their parents.It was such a good and eye opening experience to spend the little time that we had there. If you know me at all, you know that I love kids so I loved this experience so much. I am definately going to try and make it a more common habit to go and volunteer at New Life Home (in my spare time of course). I asked Mary Beckenham and she said that meal times are difficult with so many kids so I think I will start going to help at dinner time or something. Who knows! But such a cool place! Anyways...just wanted to include you all in another great experience I have had here in Kenya. Keiser the little boys made me miss your boys so much...I can't wait to hold them...or at least G if he will still let me!

No comments: