Tuesday, November 14, 2006


Dear Friends and Family,
The month of November is here and I can hardly believe it. My roommates have started to play Christmas music, which seems even more out of place in our 75 degree weather. Not that I am complaining about the warm weather! :) It is one of the many blessings that God has brought my way recently. Some of the other blessings include good health, safety in our travels, our car, a good church and of course making it through the parent-teacher conferences last month. I did enjoy the conferences, as I thought I would and I did have a lot to learn from the parents. I am continually amazed at these families and their commitment to serving Christ with their lives.

I spent this afternoon at the Meredith Family’s house. I wrote about them in one of my last emails. It was a party for the end of the soccer season. I was enjoying sitting in a circle with all of the moms’ of the boys from the team talking about how proud of their sons they were. One mom, a British woman, was talking about how proud she was of her son and how he had grown from the 2 kilo (4 lb) baby she adopted. I was in shock when she went on to tell me that they brought CJ home at three months old when he was only 2 kg and HIV positive. She said that they just did not want him to die alone, but rather in someone’s arms being loved. I felt like crying as she pulled out a photo album of other babies just like CJ, left on the side of the road to die. Mary Beckenham and her husband Clive work with a foundation called New Life Home. Taking in babies off of the street to be loved and cared for, with hopes of being adopted. Their first home was opened here in Nairobi and just this year they have been blessed to open three more houses around Kenya. Mary explained that they feel so blessed to have this opportunity but are very overwhelmed by all the needs in this area. As I was talking to Mary another mom, Ann, went on to brag about what Mary and Clive have done in Kenya.
She said that Mary and Clive adopted CJ being HIV positive at three months. After loving and feeding him and taking care of her for a few months he was tested again and the test came back negative. They are the testimony of what God’s love can do for a child that has not experienced such love. They travel around talking to people about their life with CJ, changing and encouraging people. Since CJ there have been many other cases just like CJ with kids turning from positive to negative. Ann concluded her story by saying that Mary is a walking Angel and I couldn’t help but cry in agreement of what she said. WOW...just one more amazing story about these families.

Last month I asked for prayer as I was hoping to start a Bible study with some of the middle school girls. A few days after I sent out my letter the Principal approached me about some of the girls in the ninth grade class and their social issues. He was wondering if I would be willing to hang out with them and talk to them as a whole, all six of them that is. After praying that God would show me who I should invite to my Bible study and what I should spend time talking about His answer was loud and clear. So, I wanted to say once again thank you for your prayers. I met with the girls for the first time on Friday and we had such a good time. I am really looking forward to this experience.
Our first sports season has finally come to an end. Although it was so much fun, it was a lot of stress and I must say I am glad to have one down. But I am looking forward to girls’ soccer season. Our next sports will be boy’s basketball and girl’s soccer. I am not sure what to expect but as I have said before, these kids never cease to amaze me.
God has also really blessed me recently by helping to find a good church. When I first moved here I was told that it would be hard to find a good church, and I quickly found out that was true. Recently my roommates and I have started attending a church out in Karen, where the school is located. There are a lot of missionaries at this church, and the pastor is excellent. It is so refreshing to hear preaching straight from the Bible. He has been talking a lot about living life with purpose and leaving your mark, a legacy. Such a good reminder of making the most of everyday and living a life of purpose.
Thanks again for all of your prayers and support. I wish that you could all come and visit and see the part you are playing in God’s work in Africa.
Serving My King in Kenya,
Kayla Carraway


Prayer Requests:
-Health
-Safety
-Safe flight home for Christmas and travel while I am Idaho (Dec 16-Jan4)
-Bible study with the 9th grade girls
-Finances for the car


Praises
-Health
-Friendships
-Church

No comments: