Saturday, March 24, 2007

Saturday afternoon...

A couple of months ago I started this discipleship thing with the five 9th grade girls from my school. Recently it has been more difficult because we have been so busy with soccer and birthday parties and other craziness. But, today we decided to finally get together. We took a few hours this afternoon and went and volunteered at New Life Home, one of the nearby orphanages. It was so great because when we first got there the toddlers (1 1/2-2 year olds) were playing outside. We got to play out there with them for about a hour (there were like 20 of them so it was crazy). Then we helped bring them all inside and feed them lunch, that was CRAZY. I had heard that they did not get as many volunteers of Saturday which is why I wanted to go today, and I am so glad we did. WOW...so many little mouths to feed. I was running back and forth between these two kids (Nolan and Crissy) trying to spoon it in as fast as I could. Of course they would get impatient and start using their hands, so it was fun to clean up. After lunch we took the 15 older toddlers and put them on "potties". OH my goodness, probably one of the funniest things I have ever seen. 15 little toilets with the cutest kids ever sitting on them totally naked. I wanted to take a picture, but I thought that might be inappropriate. They started getting impatient and would hop around with the toilet between their legs. I was dying laughing. One little girl, Esther, fell asleep in the middle of the craziness and almost fell of her toilet. OH wow...that was HILARIOUS! Then we put them to bed and went to help with the babies. Oh, they were so precious and adorable. I got to hold a little boy named Stewart. It is about the age of my niece Halle so I was pretending it was her. Wasn't quite the same, but he sure was cute. At about 1 we helped put the babies in their beds and then we headed home. It was so great to get to go and help. I think it was definately one of those times that helping encouraged us more than them.
I also had the privellage to go to New Life Home for a few hours with the sixth grade class earlier this week on Tuesday. That is what the pictures are from. Such cute kids...when I look at them and hold them I can't help but pray that God will bring loving parents for them.

No comments: